Tuesday, April 20, 2010

reposteria

We started a small baking class last week. Since pretty much all of the girls in Los Higos and the surrounding communities have learned to knit, we needed something new to do. We had our first class last Friday. I split the girls into two baking groups, so we will all fit in the kitchen, and this Friday the other group will bake. In this picture group 1 poses by their first cake- a carrot cake.

When we bake we will always have some down time while we wait for whatever we are making to bake. I am debating how to best use this time. Last time I wasn't real prepared, so we just played charades. I would like, however, to use that time to do something productive and edifying or educational for the girls. Any ideas?
Today was our last day talking about health. A nurse from the rural clinic in the neighboring community came to talk to them about preventing and treating tuburculosis. I was surprised that the clinic has a new doctor and she wanted to come along! It turns out that she is a Christian and is really excited about what we are doing in the Women's Center. When I told her that I want to soon start a series with the girls on dating and marriage she offered to come back and talk with them about waiting to get married, family planning, STDs, etc. I'm really excited at the possibility of partner with her and helping her to establish a ministry in the community, too.

2 comments:

Abbie said...

Yay for learning to bake! Is there a need for basic kitchen safety or cleanliness knowledge? Or healthy food options? Or a mini bible study - maybe even taking a chapter that deals with food - each week? (I know I prefer to do whole books, chapter by chapter, but I can see making an exception to draw them in to food in the bible.) I look forward to hearing what you decide to do!

arleneiowa said...

Abbie,
we have had to talk quite a bit about sanitation when cooking and the girls are getting to the point now where they automatically wash their hands when they arrive without me having to remind them!
Up until now we've used our free time to paint some benches while the cakes baked. I think that your idea about a Bible study dealing with food is a great one!
arlene