Monday, June 15, 2009

gorros

I have felt convicted that I need to think about what it would mean to knit in a Biblical way. I believe that as a Christian, my faith should affect all of life, even my knitting! (Even as I read that, I realize how cheesey that would have sounded to me just a few years ago).
So, we talked about it in knitting class and came up with a list that would characterize Christian knitting. Here is what I can remember from the list:
Responsability
Creativity
Generosity
Honesty
Friendship
Service
Quality production
And we talked about ways we could incorporate those characteristics into knitting. We decided to start by making hats to donate. We have yet to send the hats, but are thinking of sending them to Ukraine or to Haiti (because I have connection through my church in Fertile to ministries in those countries). The ladies came back the following week with these beautiful children's hats:

Melvin came up with the idea of also doing a creativity competition- each knitter will design and knit something of their own imagination. Afterward we will sell their creations and donate the money. I was pretty happy with that suggestion.

My hope is that knitting class won't just be knitting chaos, but knitting with a purpose and we are trying to take steps in that direction.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

arlene - it is so awesome that the kids are using their energy and time to give to others. it's like true empowerment, instead of creating client culture. so cool

Abbie said...

Good thoughts about how all our activities should be focussed on giving glory to God. I think some re-prioritizing and attitude adjustment is in my very near future.