Saturday, March 28, 2009

estudio con las muchachas


On Tuesday, we began a girls' Bible study. Nine girls, ages 12 to 17, had signed up, but only five came. The study will last two months and we will talk about dating, love, marriage, and boys.
One of the biggest problems that I see in Los Higos is that girls get 'married' (they move in together, often with his parents) very young to the first boy who ever decides he likes her. Usually they quit school when they get married. Often these relationships break apart after a few years, and the girl is left to raise a child without the father's help and with no skills, because she quit school.
This problem is overwhelming to me and I know it will take generations to change. I pray, however, that God transforms these girls in the same way He has transformed me and many of the girls who have come on teams to work with me. I see how he has changed my own view of who I am in light of who He is and changed much of my own thinking on relational topics. So, I know that the transformation I'm looking for can happen. Please pray that Jesus will begin the process in these girls: Wanda, Sara, Yesica, Natali, and Yoba.

1 comment:

Abbie said...

I'm praying. Relationships can be SO bad - physically, emotionally, mentally - for girls (and boys, but the girl side of it more). I pray God will give me wisdom too as I raise my children.