Saturday, June 28, 2008

jugar 'americano'

I wish I had a picture, but I'll just have to tell the story...

After lunch, a bunch of the grandkids of the family I live with in Los Higos were at the house. And one of the girls started to get impatient, saying to the rest of the kids, "Come on, let's go play 'americano'."

I asked, "You play 'americano'?"

"Yes."

"How do you play?"

"Well, one of us is Arlene, and one of us is Andre and another is Sandra... [and she kept listing different Americans that have come to Los Higos]."

"And what do you do?"

"We all have water bottles," she said as she and another girl hold up used pop bottles filled with water.

After laughing that off, I asked, "What else do you do?"

"Sometimes we speak English without knowing what we're saying."

ha, ha.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

o man, that's too funny

Abbie said...

LOL!!! Thanks for your newsletter, too. I thought we'd tried guanabana in Mexico? I think I even have a picture of it! But of course, I could have the name wrong, or the picture, or they call it something different in DR than in Mexico. :) Love, Abbie

Tamara said...

Oh my goodness!
That's hilarious!
I love those Los Higos kids =)