Monday, October 22, 2007

lorena stove


So, now that I'm all excited about fuel-efficient stoves, I'm noticing them where I'd never seen them before. This isn't the best picture, but it's a very old 'Lorena' stove that we saw while visiting someone in Hatillo. The firewood enters in one end, and there is a chimney in the opposite, although it's not visible in this photo. So, the stove uses less firewood, because there's just one fire for three pots, and there's no smoke, because of the chimney.
This stove is really old. The guy who showed it to us was probably in his mid-twenties and said he doesn't remember a time when they didn't have it. So, I find myself wondering how it is that this type of stove hasn't caught on if they've been around for so long... I need to investigate this.

No comments: